Following are some of the mobile app testing frameworks that our developers and testing team have been using for our customers who belong to diverse industries and hail from various geographies:
- Appium: Appium is an open source cross-platform test automation framework to use with native, hybrid and mobile web apps. It drives iOS and Android apps using the WebDriver JSON Wire Protocol. Its a black box testing tool, no need for the source code.
- Robotium: Robotium is an open source mobile testing automation framework for native and hybrid Android apps. With it’s very easy to write powerful and robust automatic black box UI tests for apps: you just need the .apk, no source code is needed. You can also run gray box tests if the source code is available.
It provides simple API to write UI automation scripts. Robotium is in fact one of the most commonly used automated UI testing framework.
- Espresso: Espresso is an open source mobile testing automation framework for native Android apps developed by Google. The executed test .apk is synchronised by the framework with the Android UI thread.
- Uiautomator: While Robotium is a good yet basic framework, uiautomator allows you to do more in testing Android apps and games.
- Calabash: Calabash is a cross-platform test automation framework for Android and iOS native and hybrid applications.